Lies by omission.. Who knows about the 500,000 prisoners of war, most of whom were German? Answer: almost no one.
Reporter Karen Duffin and her father were talking one day when, just as an aside, he mentioned the Nazi prisoners of war that worked on his Idaho farm when he was a kid. Karen was shocked … and then immediately obsessed. So she spoke with historians, dug through the National Archives and oral histories, and uncovered the astonishing story of a small town in Alabama overwhelmed by thousands of German prisoners of war. Along the way, she discovered that a very fundamental question – one that w
* Duration: 32:05, Played: 2:39
* Published: 2015-05-22 6:51:33 PM
* Episode Download Link (29 MB): www.podtrac.com/pts/redirect.mp3/audio.wnyc.org/radiolab_podcast/radiolab_podcast15nazicamp.mp3?awparams=morgan%3Afalse
* Show Notes: www.radiolab.org/story/nazi-summer-camp/
* Episode Feed: Radiolab – feeds.wnyc.org/radiolab